Satanic Mechanic Forum Index

<  Performance issues  ~  piston ring questions: Henry Abe 67mm piston kit.

fang
Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Junior member Junior member
Hello all.
For My 67 Henry Abe Piston kit, I have some questions about the piston rings. My kit did not come with ann instructions regarding piston rings. Fist, I have these pistons:

(Thank you Axle for the picture.)

The rings have two top rings and a 3-piece oil ring. Here are my questions:
1. With the top two rings, which one goes on top? I am assuming that the top of each ring is stamped. Both rings have a small "T" stamped near the gap on one side, so that probably is the top side. But I am not 100% sure about which one is the top ring. One ring is a L-profile ring, and I am assuming this is the bottom ring. Any thoughts or comments?

2. The 3-piece oil rings. Any tips on assembling these? I thought that the ends were supposed to lock together somehow, but they don't look like they can do this. Any thoughts or comments on this?

Thank you!
Peace and grease
-fang
pedro750
Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Member Member
I fang, only question, have you only one ring kit for abe pistons? I need one kit for my pistons, so if you have one more...
t1m32sh1n3
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
i have the same piston kit and i need the piston rings. where can i get them? and whats the max limit on out of round for the cylinders? can i run oversize rings on the standard pistons without hurting performance? ive got some new rings right here.....there made by mc supply. they say HA-67 std. the oil ring is one peice though!

as far as what ring goes where. the stepped ring goes in the middle.
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
You can run oversize rings, but be sure to check the ring gap before installing them, and, if necessary, file them down a bit. There were three piece and one piece oil rings for the Henry Abe kits, if you have a choice, go for the three piece rings.

Is it that http://www.mcsupply.com/ MC supply you got the rings from?

Cheers,
t1m32sh1n3
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
the rings....i got from a guy here in the states who found a few sets nos. he also has some in over sizes too. the maker is mc supply.i dont believe its that company that your referring to.

do you know what the ring gap should be?
and do you know what the limits are on cylinder out of round ?
if i have to go with oversize rings on the std henry abe piston...will there be excessive blow by or any other down falls?

i plan on building a strong street motor , something that i can run on the drag strip now and again and still keep reliable and very streetable. thanks for any and all advice and info. chris
RxmanGriff
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 26 Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Tim,

I have a complete NOS Henry Abe 900 kit. It came with the same rings as yours, HA-67 STD as labeled on the ring boxes. One piece oil rings Confused There is no indication of MC on the rings or on the individual boxes for each ring set. The Henry Abe box the kit is in however has a yellow label on the end that refers to MC importers distributors Los Angeles. The parts no. is MC 5525 for the kit.
t1m32sh1n3
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
my rings are from the same company.the boxes are white with a yellow sticker too would you want to sell your complete bore kit? any idea about the oversize ring question? thanks for the info
RxmanGriff
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 26 Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Not sure about the oversize rings. Why do you need oversize? I'm hanging on to the set for my tear down. It's replacing a 810 Yoshi kit. Bigger and better every time. Laughing It cost me $700 and was next to impossible to find.
t1m32sh1n3
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
the bores are out of round by .002. so i figured instead of having rings that dont seat quite right that maybe id be better off going with oversize rings. do you have any specs on these pistons? ring gap., max on cylinder out of round etc.,etc.??? thanks chris
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
Ring gap should be .1mm at least, an out of round of .002" doesn't sound too bad, I would say.
t1m32sh1n3
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
you know what, maybe it was .02! i think it was .02! i know thats no good. if i go with oversize rings will that leave a bigger space between the piston and rings???

also i plan on running a pretty hot cam, but i havent gotten that far...yet. so how much should be cut off the valve reliefs?