Satanic Mechanic Forum Index

<  Open forum  ~  Any Yanks (USA) members in forum? CR750 rods comments?

Ron
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
Member Member
Seems to be European based. Mr. Satanic Mechanic is from Germany? What widespread interest in a vehicle I always thought of in terms of USA only. Pardon the inbred arrogance. For the second time I'll say I'm glad I found this site and have read every word Axl has written here!

Anyhoo, I just was high bidder on a set of CR750 Rods on Ebay. I took a chance as to authenticity and usability. Does anyone know about these items? How many CCs are they good for.

Also won a set of Clubman Handlebars.
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
Indeed I'm from Germany Very Happy Well. the CB750 was shaking European grounds as well when it came out in '69, maybe even more as it attacked a market which at that time was still dominated by European manufacturers. Also, all the frame makers who were or still are producing chassis for the 750 are all European based. (This is not to belittle the contributions Americans have made to the subject. Look at Michael Moors's pages at www.eurospares.com or at all the chopper culture - it's a completely different direction but nonetheless a valuable contribution to the world of motorcycling.)

I know there are a lot of US guys who are visiting this site - in fact, the majority of visitors are from the US of A, they just haven't spoken up here yet.

As to your rods, dou you have pictures? Or a link to the auction if there are any pics? If they are stronger (and I bet they are) than the stockers you can certainly use them for any high performance engine. It is not so much tied to CCs - Japauto was using stock pistons with their VX1000 engine wih no known problem, but they were using stock cams as well and kept the max RPM pretty low. The pistons were heavier than stock (which means more stress on the rods) but their redline was kept at 8500, and the increase in displacement adds much bottom than top end power. So the overall RPM level of a VX1000 engine was probably lower than stock, and they could live happily with the stock rods.

Cheers,
Axl
Ron
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4574387275&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Hope that will work for you. They say CR750 right on the side, so who knows? Guy said he bought out a chopper shop and is selling it off. Doesn't know any details.

Interesting you mention USA style choppers. They've always been an embarrassment to me. But, now that I'm older and not so easily embarrassed, I catch myself looking at possibly nailing together a simple CB750 chopper some day.

I guess I knew most racer type framework was over the pond, but your list of makers and the stories around them is impressive.

Meanwhile, back in 1980 or so, I had a roadracer with Yosh head, BIG cam, 1mm over Yosh 2 ring slipper pistons, lightened crank w no rotor, and (believe it or not) dual Weber DCOE40 carburetors. I bent a stock rod with that setup, but it could have been overrevved as it would really rev.

I've got RC forged "Big End" rods in an 895cc motor.

Would like to use the CR rods in a rebuild of the old roadracer. I've still got the pistons, sold the Webers, they worked really well but stuck out the sides and hit my legs. SB Mikunis are better.
Satanic Mechanic
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Moderator
They look like Russ Collins rods to me. Honda's official CR kit didn't include con rods - the CR may be a bit misleading Wink

As for choppers - I was on a trip across the US in Fall of 2004 together with a bunch of friends, and bought a bike off Ebay for the trip: A semi chopped CB 750 Cool which was my first ride on a chopper at all. See www.easyridertrip.de for pictures and the whole story. Very Happy

The Weber setup was/is rare, but it's not unusual if you look close enough. I got some pictures from a guy in Sweden who has Webers on his 750, and I have seen such a setup myself on a bike at Fritz Egli's shop in Switzerland.
Ron
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Member Member
RC rods would be fine with me. I'll know more when I get them. For those lurkers out there, I remember when ... The first step up from stock was to shot peen the stock rods. Then add bigger bolts. (remember not to use stock bolts twice. They stretch and fatigue when torqued.)

That's what i suspect these are. Then you move up to a forged rod, with a thicker small end leading up to the top bushing. It's that part of the rod I bent into a fine "s" curve on my roadrace motor. Luckily it didn't break. But the bend caused the big end plain bearings to seize and disentegrate at which point it was making a lot of noise. Then on to the Falicon, Carrillo types.

Once again I love this site and expect it to be a great resource if I ever get back to my projects. Crying or Very sad Hopefully more people will join in the discussions.
fang
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Junior member Junior member
Hi there. I am a US member in Austin, TX. I have had good experiences with the big forged aluminum rods.

-fang
Ron
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Member Member
fang wrote:
Hi there. I am a US member in Austin, TX. I have had good experiences with the big forged aluminum rods.

-fang

What brand(s)?
fang
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Junior member Junior member
I'll have to check when I get home...

-fang